Here and on the homefront


All packed and nowhere to go…yet.

We are ready to go, with the exception of fuel coming up from Kanger to replace the diesel-contaminated-fuel gaffe we dealt with yesterday.  The sleds have been packed and repacked, and arranged and rearranged.  And rearranged.  And repacked.  Mike has applied his special brand of organization to tidy up the load and lashings.  It is a sharp looking load.

Our traverse system and methodology stems from an illustrious lineage.  We literally and figuratively borrowed systems and equipment from Dr. Matthew Sturm, the godfather of long Arctic snowmobile traverses.  One key piece is our canopy sled, which Matthew graciously let us borrow for this traverse, and is much appreciated.  Matthew’s mentor was Dr. Carl Benson, who pioneered the route we will follow in a series of traverses in the 1950’s.

The flight planned for today didn’t come, but with any luck, tomorrow we will get the needed fuel, and be able to go on our merry way.


Mike, our designated load organizer, puts the finishing touches on our canopy sled.


Sometimes getting everything ready means working into the night.

Thanks to a big push yesterday by Chris and the guys in the shop, Don and Doug, the snowmachines are running well, and we are excited to be able to leave the fuel cache for the bigger run soon.  Life “in town” here at Summit, is pretty cushy, with good food and good friends, and the sooner we get out, the sooner we can look forward to being back.


Teague, this one’s for you. Giant tractor! (Teague loves tractors.)

While I am in Greenland, my husband Mike, who along with everyone back home deserves a nod for his supporting role, is watching our rather high energy and mischievous son, Teague.  This is my first time away from home since he was born, so it is a big step for all of us.

Of course things went wrong as soon as I was in the air heading to Greenland.  Mike took Teague to a party at a friend’s house, and Teague projectile vomited all over their kitchen.  If you are a parent, you know that this happens, and it while it is alarming, it’s usually not that big of a deal.  This is the first time that Teague has been this sick, and it lasted for a few days.  Exactly what I feared might happen- that Mike and Teague wouldn’t have a “normal,” relatively peaceful time while I was gone, but have to deal with something crazy.

Teague is doing better now, and Mike is getting some rest.  Everyone and most everything has been scrubbed clean.

We all owe a big debt of gratitude to our family and friends for supporting us while we are away—and we couldn’t do this without them.  There are farms back at home gearing up for a busy spring, land being purchased, and homefronts striving to reach normalcy.


Teague napping after a rough couple of days.

One thought on “Here and on the homefront

  1. Yaaaaayyyyyy, field momma! I’m glad everyone survived the first single-parenting adventure. I hope it will be the only one.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s